28 December, 2009

Canadian Pacific Northwest

From Seattle I headed up for the international portion of my journey. That’s right, I wanted to head into the Great White North as the permafrost was thawed and it was a month before things would be covered in snow again. In early September there were few dogsleds I’d have to worry about hitting on the motorcycle, so I figured I was safe. I just had to try to remember not to say anything bad about Bob and Doug Mackenzie or the Red Green Show. And, if I was lucky, maybe I’d meet a few famous Canadians like Mike Myers, Celine Dion, or the Queen of England (ok, maybe not Canadian, but at least I’d see her on the money since they haven’t managed to break free yet from the colonial power). God Save the Queen!

I had a little trouble convincing the border guard that I wasn’t just a freeloader with no job and no money trying to cross the border and take advantage of the system. I guess the beard, motorcycle with Pennsylvania tags crossing the Washington/British Columbia border 3,000 miles from where it was registered, and plastic trash bag rain cover over all my things didn’t give a convincing argument. After a short discussion in which I had to try to prove that I had enough money to make it all the way back to PA, and the border guard being convinced I wasn’t carrying any drugs, I was able to pass.

First stop I should’ve made in Canada: Tim Horton’s. But, I was on a diet of canned beans, saltines, and peanut butter, so I foolishly decided to just drive to Vancouver. Good enough, I found KD had made some great homemade cookies and hot tea waiting on me at my destination for the day. I’d arrived just after lunch time, so had the afternoon to explore the town. Of course, the first place Karen took me was Wreck beach. Sorry, no pictures, but it was pretty cool to be at the Pacific Ocean and see the mountains of Vancouver Island off in the distance. Thankfully it wasn’t too cold as I went swimming along with a few other Wreck beach participants. I guess the Canadian coast doesn’t have as many icebergs around as I’d expected.
Convention Center, think is supposed to be big deal for the Olympics
Vancouver skyline

From there, I got to experience a cross-cultural atmosphere through watching some cricket being played by a group of South Asians with some loud Hindi music blaring in the background at a local park. It wasn’t ice hockey season, so this worked as an international exposure that was overdue since I’d spent 5+ months consecutively in the U.S. (although selling fireworks in the thumb of Michigan for July 4 did feel at times like I was in another country).

Cricket experience! Who understands this game??

Following a good day of hanging out with Karen, I took off the next morning on the bike up the Sea to Sky highway towards Whistler. The site of the 2010 Winter Olympics was undergoing lots of construction. Everywhere there were signs of excitement in eager expectation for the beginning of the festivities. I’d really like to be able to go back during the games, but suppose it won’t be able to happen as it’s only a few months from now. The scenery was gorgeous with the ocean and mountains all so close together and many nice curves and twists along the road. Mountain bikers, runners, hikers, and various other adventure sporters were all around the roads and trails taking advantage of the beautiful creation that they found themselves in.
No snow?!?! In Canada!?!? Oh well, let's go biking!!!

Beautiful scenery on the Sea to the Sky highway
100 kilometres of great views
There's even some nice waterfalls right off the road

A quick stop in Vancouver after heading back south and then I was off to Abbotsford to stay the night with Chad and his parents. It was great to reconnect with them and spend the night a little closer to Western Montana where I hoped to make it the following day. The last little Canadian portion of the trip will have to wait until another day for telling.

1 comment:

Karen D said...

Jeffy...
I made your blog - how jazzed am I about that! It was much fun showing you my beloved city. You have to come back - WRECK beckons!
Was at Urbana with Ben, Buddy and Jimmy all last week, it was a good time. We reminisced often about "jeff mills". Would have been so fun had you been with us. Hope all is well in Somaliland and HAPPY NEW YEAR.
Kd