27 June, 2008

Singing in the Rain

I’m not sure how old the idea of a music video is, but the other day I saw some that right away looked as if they were from the 70s. The kaleidoscopic effects, colors, and hair-dos together with the constant zooming in and out gave the impression of an LSD trip. And immediately I and another American working here thought that our Dads would enjoy watching this DVD/VCD that our cook had bought in the market here in town. DVDs/VCDs have newly come to town, just as last year shops starting showing up in Yei (which is the gateway for things coming in from Uganda) with them also. It’s not like in Nairobi, Kampala, or many various other cities throughout the world where there are shops on every corner selling pirated copies of various movies or collections of movies, but they are making their way into Sudan. As a side note, apparently Sudan has not signed any of the international copyright agreements or anything, so the copying and selling of pirated DVDs is actually legal I think.

As a result of these music videos that a couple of our staff wanted to show to us the other day over lunch (and see themselves), I’ve got this song lyric stuck in my head about “a bang, a boom, a boomerang of love.” And, I thought I’d see how long it would take for someone to recognize the singers of this song and the others that were on the DVD that I’m sure I’ll hear playing many times over the coming weeks until our staff find a new cassette or video to listen to or watch constantly. I’ve given you today’s hint, and I don't know if it will be enough, but if not, I’ll keep adding a hint each time I update until someone recognizes the artists. But, I don’t want anyone to go searching song lyrics online or anything, this is a recognition through previous knowledge, not through Google’s advanced search. NO CHEATING!!

So, for those of you who don’t know how to leave comments, please follow these directions:

Click on the green part that shows how many comments have been left on this post just below. Write what you want to say in the comment section. Then, choose your identity from the choices or choose anonymous if you don't have a google account or just wish to remain anonymous and fill in the letters or numbers you see that will be distorted a bit. Then just click to publish your comment. I’ll get a little idea of how musically cultured my readers are (or just what generation they're from) depending upon how long it takes for someone to recognize the group. Personally, I didn’t know until it got to a later song who the group was

1 comment:

matthewzeeb said...

I have no idea what the artists are on that song, but they're geniuses!!!