20 June, 2008

How to Write About Africa

At Christmas, a friend of mine gave me this very short, small book called “How to Write About Africa.” It was quite an entertaining book that contained several short articles that had originated in a magazine called Kwani?. I recommend the magazine and book to anyone who has spent time in Africa. Kwani? (Swahili for Why?) is published and originated in Kenya, and includes many different writings from various African authors and short story writers. As I posted my last entry about the conditions of the roads, I got to thinking about the book and how I was pretty good at writing about the side of Africa that continues to perpetuate its stereotypes and give an impression to the whole continent that is not accurate. I try to provide interesting reading, and it is the type of thing that is part of the “adventure” that contributed to me coming over here, but it what I write is a part of my personal experiences and not a picture reflective of the whole.

The book talks about how people don't want to hear about the intellectuals of Africa or to know about the people who struggle everyday to provide for their families through hard work and ingenuity. I have not done a fair job in portraying this side of things. Most of my readers are from North America and I know we like to hear about what we are doing to help out those "less fortunate." Those working with wildlife are the next best heroes in our stories behind these humanitarian workers who do so much "because they care" as the little book said. While I and those I work with from North America are trying to do what we can to be of benefit, we are not the ones who really have a chance at bringing about true change and benefit to the people's lives ("the people" refer to black Africans while just "people" refer to you and me... also in the book). Please don't trump us up as those who are "sacrificing" and really giving so much. The experiences I'm having are far more valuable than anything I'm giving for "these people."

The book is comical to me, and I joke as I write the different things that were mentioned. It is funny how accurately it portrays the feelings of so many. It's not because those of us who are just visiting or hearing about things are terrible people (for the most part...), in some cases we just don't know how to write in a way that people will understand with other vocabulary and because the perspective and background from the person is always going to come out. If possible, reading things written by Africans from their perspective will always provide a different type of feel and a different understanding of things.

So, if you ever get a chance to read "Kwani" or anything like it, you may learn a lot more, and if you've spent time in Africa yourself as well, it will help in understanding more what people are saying.

No comments: