15 September, 2010

Play Ball

FIBA. I don’t know what it stands for, but it was the international basketball championship which ended over the weekend in Turkey. It seems that Europeans and Africans don’t really care about basketball. But, I got to catch some of the final game in which the USA beat Turkey for the gold medal. I don’t think it really made much news as there were very few American NBA stars playing. And, in spite of that, the US led by Kevin Durant won it all. In a similar development, American football season has begun. Working with only Europeans and in Africa, my colleagues would not be aware of the fact above were I to make sure to spread the message. The Eagles disappointed in an opening game loss to the Packers, but I was excited nonetheless as I got to watch ESPN Sportscenter for the first time in quite a while and see the highlights.


The Olympics and the World Cup are universally known. Cricket and rugby have followers crossing continental divides. The biggest sports in the US, however, are relatively new in the world market. While the DR, Cuba, and Venezuela have been big with baseball for some time, it’s only recently made its way to Japan where it has become popular. American football has sprung up in leagues in Europe, but is not followed by many. Basketball leagues have begun recently in a lot of countries in Europe and Asia, but also are thin on supporters and fans though gaining ground.


The US can compete with the best countries in any sport really. There are professional leagues and competitions for just about everything, but ice hockey, tennis, and golf are probably the only ones with big followings outside the US in which competitors make millions (not really going to count the MLS as it is a relative newcomer in the US). And these three have nothing of the control on television broadcasting and merchandising deals that the MLB, NFL, and NBA control.


I don’t know where I’m going with this, but just think it is interesting that as an American, I find little common ground with others internationally on the sports that I grew up with. It isn’t just that we like boring sports in the US. NASCAR may be the exception as far as the rest of the world is concerned, though I don’t think Indy car racing (with worldwide popularity) is all that different. NASCAR usually only has four different turns that drivers go through over and over and over again over 3 hours of driving while Indy Car drivers at least have road courses that mix things up a little more. One cricket match can last days. It is not exciting. And yet, it is probably the 2nd most popular sport in the world behind football (soccer).


ESPN has no equal in the US. It is by far the most popular channel in the US among men. It is one of the things that I miss about living overseas. We do get an international version of ESPN, but it is not nearly as good as the US version. However, none of those from outside the US understand what I’m talking about (except maybe Canadians). And while ESPN is not something I’ll really be able to pass on to others, at least I can try to build up support for baseball, football, and basketball, and eventually the US will be able to spread its sports influence throughout the entire world. Maybe ESPN will be able to be universally recognized in the next 5 or 10 years. Then maybe I’ll be able to watch Sportscenter or NFL, MLB, or NBA games at convenient times and not just replays during odd hours in the time zones I find myself in. Until then, March Madness, playoff races and Top Ten plays of the Day will be things I just have to continue to live without.

No comments: