14 October, 2009

New Update

So a lot has happened since I finished the road trip in mid September. I still haven't finished the reports on my mini Megatransect (see Nat'l Geo magazine to understand the reference) but I'll have to interject the rest of the motorcycle story (some of which should hopefully make for interesting reading) in the coming weeks, likely interspersed amongst some other posts.

I had managed to last almost 7 months in North America before leaving again. It's now been nearly 2 weeks since I flew out of Dulles airport yet again for a trans-atlantic flight as one part of a longer journey. I'm not sure the running total, but am positive I've crossed the equator more times than I have years on earth. I'd try to count, but it's been over ten years since I've had a math class, so I may not be able to get that high accurately. Regardless, it seems most of the poll voters from my question of how long I'd make it in the States were correct. Of course, I think there were only 7 people who voted, about 4 saying I'd leave before the first snow, 1 that I'd be over a year, and 2 only a couple of months.

So I thought I'd avoid the snow, and left just as the leaves were getting some color. I did end up in the mountains of Montana in September a day after they awoke to white snow covered hillsides, but thankfully the day I got there had only started with frost. And, I am just about to head to Switzerland for a couple of weeks, so there's a chance I'll see some snow up in the mountains, but I doubt I'll have the opportunity to be up in the snow. I'm sure I'll be quite a bit colder than I have been the last couple weeks regardless, and am actually looking forward to some jacket weather.

But for the most part of the next year, I'll be trying to avoid the sun and sweating even in the shade. My pants will be sticking to my body nearly every time I stand up and I won't have to look in a mirror as no one will care if my hair or face is messed up. I must like it that way, because I keep coming back for more. Here's some photos for your viewing pleasure (that I am borrowing, I haven't taken any pics yet).



No comments: